The goal of the UTK Data Governance initiative is to establish data management best practices, clear accountability, data stewardship roles, and a decision making structure that maximizes the value of campus data resources. Starting with Academic Affairs in late 2017, this ongoing initiative will result in a sustainable and efficient set of controls, data standards, consistent processes, with the potential to extend in scope over time, to other divisions within the Knoxville campus. Data governance also provides a foundation from which data quality and integrity can be evaluated and continuously improved.
- Establish appropriate responsibility and authority for the management of the campus data assets.
- Improve the quality and integrity of campus data resulting in greater accuracy, timeliness, and a clear understanding of data.
- Improve the security of campus data, including confidentiality and protection from loss.
- Improve ease of access, assure that once data is located, people have enough information about the data to understand how to interpret it.
- Reduce the redundancy of the data through consolidation of data-marts and systems of record.